By Viraj Bhagat
Your single stop for all things Quant - this is a very comprehensive and robust compiled list of resources that one would require or needs in the domain of Algorithmic Trading and Quantitative Trading.
We cover the following topics here:
The trading industry, like virtually every other industry insight, has gone through a drastic technological shift in the last few decades. More people now have access to the markets than ever before. However, succeeding consistently in the financial wild is a different story.
With the advent of quantitative trading, it is imperative that traders, whether greenhorns or seasoned players, whether institutional or retail, get a wide understanding of the modern financial market place. In order to do that, using contemporary tools and adding a quantitative dimension to our trading style is essential.
All the resources mentioned herein are completely free of cost!
- Free Books
- Free Tutorials
- Webinar Recordings
- Free Python Tutorials
And much more...
We bring the knowledge and tools to anyone who wants to learn about and be a part of the algorithmic and quantitative trading industry. This time it is in the form of this article.
Algorithmic Trading Book - A Rough and Ready Guide | Free Book
The book provides an initiation into the principles, practices and components of algorithmic trading. It also discusses the career pathways to be a part of this industry
We hope that this book will serve as an introductory guide for such curious readers and inspire them to take their first steps towards it.
Introduction To Financial Markets | Free Blog
- What is a market?
- How can I access the markets?
- What gets traded on an exchange?
- How can one track the markets?
- What are the different types of markets?
- Who are the participants?
- Who regulates the markets?
- What are the types of analysis market participants perform?
- What is strategy backtesting?
- What are different corporate actions and their impact on prices?
- Commonly used terminologies
An Introduction To Trading | Free Blog
- Basic Competencies for a New Quantitative Trader
- A Trading theory
- Optimality in coding
- Machine Learning
Algorithmic Trading | Free Blog
- What and Why of Algorithmic Trading?
- The Transformation from Manual to Algo Trading
- When did Algorithmic Trading start?
- Frequencies of Trading: HFT, MFT, LFT
- Algo Trading Strategies
- Algorithmic Trading Salaries
- What are the Rules and Regulations in India?
- How to Learn Algorithmic Trading
- The workflow of Algorithmic Trading
- How to build your own Algorithmic Trading Business?
Algorithmic Trading In India | Free Blog
- Algorithmic Trading in India: Past, Present and Future
- Regulations in Indian Stock Markets
- Algorithmic Trading Platforms
- How to Start your Algorithmic Trading Journey
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Future of Algorithmic Trading
Ask Me Anything on Algorithmic Trading by Nitesh Khandelwal | Free Recording
75% of global trades are executed via algorithms. Ever wondered, how you can benefit from the algorithms? We bring you this exclusive AMA session with our top boss.
The Growth And Future Of Algorithmic Trading | Free Blog
- Why should one choose Algorithmic trading?
- Who is aboard the bandwagon?
- Regulations in Algorithmic Trading
- Machine Learning and Algorithmic Trading
- Artificial Intelligence and Algorithmic Trading
- Trading Systems of the Future
- Bonus Content
- What’s next?
Learn Algorithmic Trading: A Step By Step Guide | Free Tutorial
- Here's What You Should Know
- Difference Between Algorithmic Trading, Quantitative Trading, Automated Trading And High-Frequency Trading
- Steps To Becoming An Algorithmic Trading Professional
- Frequently Asked Questions about how to learn Algorithmic Trading
Making A Career In Algorithmic Trading | Free Blog
- Jobs In Algorithmic Trading
- Types Of Quants
- Who Employs Quants?
- What Do Recruiters Look For In A Resume?
- Salaries Of Quants
- Skills Required For Algo Trading And Qualifications To Be A Quant
- Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Your Career
- Keep Learning. Keep Upgrading.
- Important Links
- Bonus Content
An Algorithmic Trading Guide For Retail Traders | Free Blog
- What is algorithmic trading?
- Why should retail traders do algorithmic trading?
- How can retail traders start algorithmic trading?
- Algo Trading Regulations
- Requirements for setting up an algorithmic trading desk
- Brokers for algorithmic trading
- Courses to learn algorithmic trading
Algorithmic Trading - Why make the move? | Free Recording
If you are a trader or investor in the financial markets, you're probably aware that the investing landscape has undergone a sea change in the last 10-15 years. In this webinar recording, we discuss the evolution, its implications and how to get ready for the future of trading.
5 Things to Know Before Starting Algorithmic Trading | Free Blog
This article is especially aimed at those who want to learn algorithmic trading and wish to set up their own trading system. Your success as an algorithmic trader is determined not only by your quantitative skills but also depends to a large extent on the process and the tools you select for analyzing, devising, and executing your strategies.
Essential Algorithmic Trading Books | Free Resource
- Market Microstructure
- Statistics & Econometrics
- Technical Analysis
- Options Trading
- Advanced Statistics
- Machine Learning
An Accessible Reading List For Trading Enthusiasts | Free Resource
- Best books on Python
- Best books on Day Trading
- Machine Learning in Quantitative Trading
- Best Day Trading Books for Beginners
- Algorithmic Trading Books
- Best Non-Python Books for Algorithmic Trading
Digging Deeper: What is algorithmic trading and how can you get into it? | Podcast
This podcast is based on the interaction between Shishir Asthana (Moneycontrol) with Nitesh Khandelwal (CEO, QuantInsti) about Algorithmic Trading. It digs deeper into how you can get into algorithmic trading, what qualifications you need to have, and what bear traps you need to be aware of.
Algo Trading Career Opportunities You Can Pursue With EPAT | Free Blog
- Embracing and Incorporating Technology in Trading
- Jobs and Opportunities are coming - I kid you not!
- If there are jobs, where are the right candidates?
- Job, Careers and the missing factor ‘X’
- Make learning an experience
- Empowering the Minds
- Excellence is the key
- Cherish the Benefits
7 Things You Didn’t Know About Algorithmic Trading | Free Blog
There are a few beliefs, disbeliefs and rumours that stop people from making the best out of Algo Trading and it is about time everyone realized its true potential. Thus, we bring you 7 things that we believe everyone should know about Algorithmic Trading.
Python for Trading: Basic | Free Course
Duration: 9 hours
What you’ll learn: Importing Stock Data, Manipulation and Visualization
Summary: A beginner's course to learn Python and use it to analyze financial data sets. It includes core topics in data structures, expressions, functions and explains various libraries used in financial markets. This is a detailed and comprehensive course to build a strong foundation in Python.
Python Basics Handbook | Free Book
This book is useful to anyone who wants a brief introduction to Python and the key components of its data science stack, and Python programmers who want a quick refresher on using Python for data analysis. Some familiarity with programming would be nice to have. The concepts and ideas here are covered with several examples to help connect theory to practice.
Python For Trading | Free Blog
- Why Python?
- Benefits and Drawbacks of Python in Algorithmic Trading
- Python vs. C++ vs. R
- Applications of Python in Finance
- Getting started with Python and Setup
- Popular libraries/packages in Python
- Working with data in Python
- Creating a sample trading strategy and backtesting
- Evaluating the sample trading strategy
Python Data Structure | Free Tutorial
- Indexing and Slicing
- Stacks and Queues
Python Data Types and Variables | Free Tutorial
- Python Variables
- Python Data Types
- Python Data Type Conversion
Python Function | Free Tutorial
- Built-in python functions
- User defined python functions
- Variable Namespace and Scope
- Lambda python functions
Scikit | Free Tutorial
- Requirements for working with data
- The Iris dataset
- Splitting the data
- Building a classification model
Jupyter Notebook | Free Tutorial
- How to write in markdown language
- Magic Commands
- How to download and share
Matplotlib | Free Tutorial
- How to import
- Basic Terms and Concepts
- Plotting Data
- Plot customization
- Multiple Plots
Numpy | Free Tutorial
- NumPy Arrays
- Array creation using built-in functions
- Random Sampling
- Array Attributes & Methods
- Array Manipulation
- Array Indexing & Iterating
Pandas | Free Tutorial
- What problem does it solve?
- DataFrame - Filter, Iterate, Merge, Append,Concat
- Importing data
- Indexing & Subsetting
- Manipulating a DataFrame
- Statistical Exploratory data analysis
Plotly Python | Free Tutorial
- How to install Plotly in Python
- Online Vs Offline Usage
- Rendering as an HTML file or in the Notebook
- OHLC Chart
- Scatter Plot
- Line Chart using Plotly Express
- Contour Charts
- Scatter Plot in 3D
Introduction to Machine Learning for Trading | Free Course
Duration: 2 hours
What you’ll learn: Basic terminology, Research Papers, Working Models
Summary: A free course to get you started in using Machine Learning for trading. Understand how different machine learning algorithms are implemented on financial markets data. Go through and understand different research studies in this domain. Get a thorough overview of this niche field.
How to Trade Using Machine Learning | Free Book
Machine learning techniques have upgraded the way things works in major domains like finance, medicine etc. And one such widely Machine Learning technique involves Artificial Neural Networks.
What are they and how can they be implemented in the financial market? This eBook contains all the information about it right from explaining the basics and working of artificial neural networks to demonstrating the code to implement it in Python for stock price prediction.
Machine Learning Basics | Free Tutorial
- What is Machine Learning
- Difference between Machine Learning, Deep Learning, AI
- Components of machine learning
- Python Libraries for Machine Learning basics
- Popular machine learning algorithms categorised
- Common terms to know in machine learning basics
- Difference between Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Working of Deep Neural Network
- Application of Machine Learning
- Growth and Future of Machine Learning
Machine Learning In Trading Q&A By Dr. Ernest P. Chan | Free Recording
Q&A session with Dr Ernest P. Chan (Managing Member of QTS Capital Management, LLC) which received a tremendous response from the viewers.
Dr. Chan is an industry expert on ‘Algorithmic Options Trading’ and has conducted seminars and lectures on many international forums. Besides being a faculty in QuantInsti, his academic distributions are available on Quantra and on major web portals.
He has applied his expertise in statistical pattern recognition to projects ranging from textual retrieval at IBM Research, mining customer relationship data at Morgan Stanley, and statistical arbitrage trading strategy research at Credit Suisse, Mapleridge Capital Management, and other hedge funds.
He is well-known for writing these books: Quantitative Trading; Algorithmic Trading: Winning Strategies and Their Rationale; Machine Trading: Deploying Computer Algorithms To Conquer the Markets.
Read all the Q&As HERE.
Trading Using Machine Learning In Python | Free Blog
- How machine learning in Python gained popularity
- Prerequisites for Python machine learning algorithm
- Getting the data and making it usable
- Creating Hyper-parameters
- Splitting the data into test and train sets
- Getting the best-fit parameters to create a new function
- Making the predictions and checking the performance
- Bonus: FAQ related to the Python Machine Learning Algorithm
Free Resources to Learn Machine Learning for Trading | Free Resources
- Recommended books
- Application of Machine Learning
Machine Learning in Live Trading | Free Video Playlist
A playlist of Short bite-sized videos that provide you a summary on various topics in Machine Learning in Trading
Step By Step Guide To Natural Language Processing (NLP) In Trading | Free Tutorial
- Trading using NLP
- News and NLP
- Steps for using NLP in trading
Masterclass Natural Language Processing in Trading| Terry Benzschawel | Free Recording
Terry Benzschawel (Founder and Principal at Benzschawel Scientific, LLC) and Ishan Shah (AVP, Content & Research at QuantInsti) helm this Masterclass about Natural Language Processing in Trading.
In this session, Terry and Ishan discuss:
- How is Natural Language Processing applied in financial markets?
- Calculating Daily Sentiment Score on Quantra learning portal
- Compare different word embedding methods with their pros and cons
- How does Quantra learning portal provide a unique learning experience?
Deep Learning in Finance | Free Tutorial
- A General Overview of Deep Learning
- Uses of Deep Learning in Finance
- Models of Deep Learning
- Application of Deep Learning in Finance
- What is the Future of Deep Learning in Finance?
Introduction To Deep Learning And Neural Network | Free Tutorial
- What is Deep Learning?
- History of Deep Learning
- Difference between Deep Learning and Machine Learning
- Working of Deep Neural Network
- Applications of Deep Learning
Artificial Intelligence And Stock Markets, Here's What You Didn't Expect! | Free Blog
Artificial Intelligence (or AI) is already playing a role and it is changing the markets in many ways. In this blog post, the author shares his views on the repercussions of this transformation.
Options Trading Strategies In Python: Basic | Free Course
Duration: 3 hours
What you’ll learn: Covered Call, Protective Put, Iron Condor, Bull Call, Bear Put
Summary: An essential course for beginners in Options trading. It starts with basic terminology and concepts you must know to be able to trade Options. It covers the concept of moneyness, put-call parity, volatility and its types, hedging with options, and various options trading strategies.
Basics Of Options Trading Explained | Free Tutorial
- What is options trading?
- Options trading vs. Stock trading
- Options terminologies
- Types of options
- Options trading example
- What is put-call parity in Python?
- Options Greeks
- Black-Scholes options pricing model
- Opening an options trading account
- Options trading strategies
Options Trading | Free Blogs
A series of tutorials on Options Trading including definitions, Options Pricing Models, Option Greeks, different trading strategies with free downloadable codes and data such as Dispersion trading, Index Arbitrage and more.
Options Trading Strategies | Free Blogs
- Diagonal Spreads
- Calendar Spread
- Synthetic Long Put
- Long Combo
- Bear Call Ladder
- Collar Options
- Straddle Options
- Jade Lizard
- Iron Butterfly
- Long Strangle
- Iron Condor
- Broken Wing Butterfly
Introduction To Data Science | Free Course
Duration: 3 hours
What you’ll do: Work on a project for sports winning team prediction
Summary: Learn data analytics by working on an interesting project. Predict a winning team for English Premier League. Highly recommended for those who want to gain practical knowledge of data science. Learn all important steps such as Data Remediation, Exploratory Data Analysis, Data Modelling and Communicating Results.
Data Science - 3 minute videos | Free Playlist
Begin learning about the most in-demand field and skill today - Data Science - with our 3 minute video that will provide you with an overview of it.
Getting Started With Data Science: A Case Study On Food Delivery App | Free Blog
This blog on ‘Steps in Data Science’ will walk you through a helpful framework to understand the process of data science. Using a case study on a food delivery app, we will try to break down the steps to help you learn the life cycle of any data science project.
Quant Interview Questions Preparation | Free Course
Duration: 5 hours
What you’ll learn: Interview Preparation and Resume Building
Summary: The primary aim of this course is to help you crack a quant interview by providing you with the right mix of interview questions to practice and enhance your knowledge and skills. Topics covered include logical reasoning, puzzles, statistics, probability, time series analysis, portfolio management, options, machine learning and Python, as well as discussion on the non-technical rounds and writing a resume.
For beginners in Quantitative Trading | Free Playlist
Start your career in quantitative and algorithmic trading for free! Learn to create and implement your strategies in live markets!
Beginner's Guide to Statistics and Probability Distribution | Free Tutorial
- Historical Data Analysis - Dataset, Mean, Mode, Median
- Probability distribution - Standard Deviation, Histogram, Normal Distribution
Introduction to Quantitative Finance | Free Tutorial
- What is Quantitative Finance?
- How is Quantitative Finance Important?
- What Qualifications do you Need to Become a Quantitative Analyst?
- Jobs in Quantitative Finance
How Much Salary Does a Quant Earn? | Free Blog
- What is a Quant?
- Quant Salary
- The job responsibility of a Quant
- Quant Funds
- A candid conversation with an algorithmic trader
Upskilling In The Quant Era | Free Blog
Skills like Python programming, Financial Computing, Statistical Analysis, Quantitative aptitude among others have been in demand to be a part of it. Individuals are quickly moving to pick up these skills. And businesses are not staying behind.
5 Ways To Being A Better Quant | Free Blog
There are always some qualities, tips, important facts and surprising stories that will come in handy and not everyone can access all of it at once. We bring you this list of the most practised skills and qualities you would be able to relate to with successful traders.
The Unconventional Guide To The Best Websites For Quants | Free Resource
- Blogs & Quantitative Trading Strategies
- Research Papers
- Self-Paced Learning Portals
- Market Data Sources
- Programming Resources
Momentum Trading in Forex | Free Course
Duration: 1.5 hours
What you’ll learn: Momentum Trading, Performance on historical prices
Summary: This course is recommended for both beginner and expert Forex traders. Create a momentum trading strategy using real Forex markets data in Python. Do a backtest on the in-built platform and analyze the results. Learn about risk management in intraday trading.
Basics Of Forex Trading For Beginners | Free Tutorial
- History of Forex
- Why is there a need for different currencies?
- What is the Foreign Exchange Market?
- What is Forex Trading or FOREX Trading?
- Terminologies used in Forex Trading
- How does Forex Trading work?
- How to calculate profit/loss in Forex Trading?
- Example of Forex Trading
Algorithmic Trading In FX Markets By Dr. Alexis Stenfors | Free Recording
The turnover in the global FX market is almost ten times larger than in all stock markets combined. However, surprisingly little is known about HFT and algorithmic trading in this space. This webinar will provide insights into some of the unique aspects of this fast-growing market.
Automated Trading with IBridgePy using Interactive Brokers Platform | Free Course
Duration: 3.5 hours
What you’ll learn: IBridgePy API, Installations, Order & Portfolio Management
Summary: Offered by Interactive Brokers, take your first step to automate and execute trading strategies in Python. It covers all essential steps from fetching data to sending orders using a free demo account on Interactive Brokers trading platform. Start automated trading today!
Automated Trading Systems | Free Tutorial
- Traditional Architecture
- Limitations of traditional architecture
- The New System architecture of the Automated Trading System
- The emergence of protocols for automated trading systems
- The emergence of low latency architectures
- Levels of sophistication
- Build Your Own Automated Trading Systems
What Is Backtesting A Trading Strategy? | Free Tutorial
- Automated backtesting and Manual Backtesting
- Key Decisions for Backtesting Trading Strategy
- Typical Backtesting Parameters to Evaluate a Trading System
- Process of Backtesting
- Platforms Used for Backtesting
- Be Aware of Bias
Blueshift | Free Backtesting Platform
Blueshift helps you turn your ideas into trading strategies. You can research your ideas. backtest them, and take your strategies live with a broker of your choice.
It is a fast, flexible and reliable platform to research and trade systematic investment strategies in Python. It is asset-class. instruments and style agnostic - we support multiple asset classes and instruments like FX, Equities, Futures.
Short Selling by Laurent Bernut | Free Recording
If the markets are failing, can you profit from them? Learn when to sell your stocks and also when to exit the position during a market fall or correction. Learn from traders with decades of market experience to create various trading strategies using short selling approach.
All Free courses on Algorithmic and Quantitative Trading
Get access to all the free courses that we have to offer.
Webinar Recordings and self-learning videos
Slide decks and presentations
Get free access to all our slide decks and presentations till date for 50+ webinars, sessions and workshops
Get Inspired. Read about entrepreneurs, traders, developers, analysts from around the globe, who come from different walks of life with varied experiences. Learn how they changed their lives by gaining the must-have skills sets and are today established in the domain of Algorithmic Trading and Quantitative trading. This a series of their stories.
All blogs related to Algorithmic Trading
Check out all our general and quant blogs at absolutely zero cost and get on your learning objectives and goals. Our blogs are highly sought after and shared by our readers from across the globe.
- Automated Trading
- Excel & R For Trading
- Forex & Crypto Trading
- Machine Learning
- Maths and Econometrics
- Mean Reversion & Statistical Arbitrage
- Momentum Trading
- More Trading Strategies
- Options Trading
- Portfolio & Risk Management
- Python For Trading
- Sentiment Trading
- Technical Indicators
You can also access them all here!
We hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as we had making it. We would really appreciate your inputs and comments.
If you liked it, don’t forget to share this blog on your Social Media handles. It might be really helpful to someone.
In case you are serious about learning quantitative trading in a structured manner, QuantInsti also offers EPAT which is world's first verified algo trading course. Get in touch with one of the course counsellor to know more about the countless advantages of learning algo trading through EPAT.
Disclaimer: All data and information provided in this article are for informational purposes only. QuantInsti® makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information in this article and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.